Thursday, April 8, 2010

Kip's Day


Today was Kip's day. We toured distilleries along the River Spey. He was so happy to visit some of the places that he had heard of for so many years. Our day started early with a stop at Glenfarcus and then we moved on to the Cooperage Heritage Center. Here we learned about the craft of making casks. We read the display info, had a tour and watched the coopers repair the casks. Then I tried to put a small cask together. I was unsuccessful and think I need to keep teaching. Since coopers are paid based on the number of casks they complete, I'd never make any money. Then off we went to a few other distilleries.

By 1:30 we were ready for a change so we headed north for 10 miles or so and ended up in a small seaside village. We walked about just a bit before heading south to a woolen mill!







Disappointment! The woolen mill I had been planning to visit was closed for Easter holidays! What a shame. This was the place I would have seen the weaving and then the process to make the cashmere. Oh well...next time!

Another disappointment! Out of the blue and very unexpected, we spotted the Walker shortbread factory. Shortbread, yes that yummy, buttery, perfect Scottish cookie. We turned the car around and headed back in hopes of finding a visitor center with a tour. NOPE! No such luck! Well at the first store I could find we stopped and bought some shortbread but instead of Walkers who disappointed me, we bought Dean's. Now I'm looking for the Dean's shortbread factory.

One last photo. Notice the snow on the hills! Last week they had 2 feet of snow. It's quickly melted most places but not at higher elevations.



Tomorrow we travel back to Edinburgh and fly out on Saturday morning. I'll try to add more photos tomorrow however I am not sure of internet access beyond tomorrow morning.

The day is over and it is past my bedtime so I am shutting down for the night. Nite all!

No comments:

Post a Comment