Saturday, April 3, 2010

Edinburgh

We've had a great 24 hours here in Edinburgh. We arrived in the afternoon on Friday and took a bit of time to walk around, get the lay of the land and shop for my raincoat. I found exactly what I wanted in the first 20 minutes! Lucky me!!

We're staying at a Sheraton right between New Town and Old Town. Now New Town has been around since about 1766 so new is not exactly what I consider new! It is considered the heart of the city and is a shopping mecca! Old Town is where Edinburgh began and the Royal Mile (a medival thoroughfare) runs from the Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse. It's a great coblestone street with some of the most interesting structures I've seen lately. Enjoy the photos...

We stopped by Edinburgh Castle on Saturday morning but did not tour it yet. We're saving that for tomorrow. Our plans are to arrive very early before the crowds arrive. Wish us luck!



There are many interesting building along the way but this one was just a bit different. Most are stone buildings and are natural.



When Queen Elizabeth is in town she stays at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Must be nice!



A group of small homes and a shop close to the palace for the Queen



This primary school is in use! I thought TAEP was old.



I had to take a photo of this little house very near the Palace. I'm thinking it was a guard house for the palace but I don't know that for sure. Maybe it was a playhouse for the kids!



Our plans are to repeat our walk tomorrow and check out the places we missed. I am in search of Brodie's Close so I can see the home of the notorius Deacon Brodie. He was a repectable councilor during the day and a thief by night. More importantly he was the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson's The strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The story was set in London though instead of Edinburgh. Deacon Brodie was arrested, convicted and hanged in 1778. Wish me luck and check back tomorrow for more on our travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment